September 11, 2021 // 10am – 7pm
Our next iteration of Activations will be led by the vibrantly chill, Sis Rummana Yamanie of Mayestik
Viewpoints is a technique of improvisation that grew out of the post-modern
dance world. It was first articulated by choreographer Mary Overlie who broke
down the two dominant issues performers deal with – time and space. The
Viewpoints allows a group of performers from any discipline, culture, or
language to function together spontaneously and intuitively and to generate a
bold, compositional work quickly. It develops flexibility, articulation, and
strength in movement and makes ensemble playing really possible. At its core
it is giving the performer the tools to make choices in Time and Space.
Viewpoints is a training system, like scales for a pianist and the barre for a
ballerina. It is not something that is meant to be performed but it makes for
more open, vibrant, and committed choices in the act of creation. The
Viewpoints are not only a warm up for the body, the voice, and the
imagination but it is also a philosophical outlook on how to make creative
The Viewpoints provide a constant practice, in the guise of improvisation, in
adjusting to choices in Space and Time and making sure those choices are
clear, committed and watchable. Viewpoints open the possibility to connect
structure and form to spontaneity and intuition.
*Things to prepare: Selected favorite passage/poet/monologue/writings to be
memorized beforehand (2 sentences should be fine, can have more if you want)
**Due to Covid, this event is limited to 12 participants. If you would like to join please contact us here!
***Participants must provide either proof of vaccine or negative antigen result
Guidelines for Health and Safety / Outfit / Personal needs
- Personal responsibility in every sense is always a part of Activations. In light of the ongoing pandemic, of course, we must be sure to care for ourselves and others for the sake of their health. Please maintain the following guidelines for health and safety during the event:
- Maintain social distancing (there is plenty of space at Rumah Tangga for people to gather while staying spread out)
- Bring hand sanitizer, spare mask, vitamins, mosquito repellant, and maybe Tolak Angin
- Wear your comfy clothes / pants, also comfy shoes or you can do barefoot stye (hati hati ada tanaman Putri Malu)
- Bring a raincoat / umbrella
- Bring a reusable water bottle for drinks.
- Bring food / drinks / snacks to share